KATHMANDU: Nepali Congress (NC) President Gagan Thapa has said that the party will not accept the proposals and views presented at a national gathering of leaders of the dissident faction held in Sukedhara on August 14-16.
Addressing the closing ceremony of the party’s Central Working Committee at the party’s central office in Sanepa on Monday, Thapa said the preparations for the 15th General Convention, scheduled to kick off on October 1, will start immediately.
Thapa said that while the party would listen to and respect the proposals presented at the dissident group’s national gathering, they cannot be treated as official party documents.
“Such gatherings are an old tradition in the NC. I have organized many such gatherings myself,” he said, adding that leaders should listen to the discussions and debates taking place at such events.
He said leaders of the opposing faction insulted their own party workers by alleging that fake delegates participated in the Special General Convention held in January.
Thapa was elected party president during the Special General Convention.
Reaffirming the schedule for the upcoming convention, Thapa said the 15th General Convention will begin on October 1 without any doubt or hesitation.
Stating that he heard several regional and district presidents attended the national gathering, he noted that they have every right to do so as an internal party matter. “However, no one should be left out of the upcoming general convention,” he added.
Thapa said he intended to make the 15th General Convention a common, inclusive event.
“I have faith in the judiciary. Any decision rendered by the Supreme Court regarding the party’s special general convention will be acceptable to me,” he added.
The Supreme Court last week decided to review its earlier verdict that upheld the Election Commission’s decision to recognize the Central Working Committee elected during the Special General Convention.

Himal Press