Sudurpashchim Province Assembly member Deuba removed from office

Himal Press 19 Aug 2026
Sudurpashchim Province Assembly member Deuba removed from office

KATHMANDU: Sudurpaschim Province Assembly member and former Minister for Physical Infrastructure Development Prakash Bahadur Deuba has been removed from office.

Province Assembly Secretary Dev Bahadur Bogati said Deuba was removed for remaining absent from more than 10 consecutive meetings without prior notice, in accordance with the Constitution of Nepal, 2015, and the Sudurpashchim Province Assembly Rules.

He said Speaker Bhim Bahadur Bhandari made the decision to remove Deuba on Tuesday.

As per Article 180(d) of the Constitution, a provincial assembly member’s seat becomes vacant if the member remains absent from 10 consecutive meetings without giving notice. The Sudurpaschim Province Assembly Rules also contain a similar provision.

Deuba left for the United States on personal business in the second week of September last year, shortly after the Gen-Z protests. He has not returned to Nepal since.

He was elected to the Sudurpashchim Province Assembly in 2022 from the Kailali-5(B) seat as a Nepali Congress candidate.

Published On: 19 Aug 2026

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *